Recommended oil in my '66

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

1966veedub

Recommended oil in my '66

Post by 1966veedub »

I'm in the process of gettting a 1966 sedan running and wondered what weight oil should I be using in my veedub. I'm in Texas where it's HOT & humid during the summer (100+ degree weather) and usually gets down to the 40's-50's during the winter, but I'll primarily drive it during the milder spring and fall months and not on long distance drives, mostly around town. I'll be running the stock 1300 motor. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I run 10W40, with an API rating of SL. Best not to run an API rating of SM in a Volkwagen or any pushrod engine car due to the lower zinc content. Brand choice is yours.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

This will also vary slightly depending on your temperature range when driving. For instance, I run 10w40 in the winter, but I run 20W50 in the summers here in Phoenix.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

There are some very good threads on what oil to use in air cooled VWs on this forum and thesamba. I just got my car running last summer. I went with a HD oil because of the additional zinc and resulting wear protection. I tried a Vavolline PC synthetic motor oil and I immediately experienced a significant oil leak. I traced the leak to the oil cooler seal. I'm not sure this was exacerbated by the new oil, but I'm not absolutelyl sure.

Lesson learned...caution about going to a full or semi-synthetic base stock motor oil. The older seals may not tolerate synthetic base stocks. They can be more agressive than older traditional base stocks. I'm back on using HD 10W-40 motor oil.
1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

Awesome info. Thanks all!