Grinding Starter / Flywheel Problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

66_Bug

Grinding Starter / Flywheel Problem

Post by 66_Bug »

Bought a 66 Beetle with a 1300cc motor with 6v wiring. This has been converted from 6v to 12v, the problem that I am having is, it has a 12v starter and it has the stock flywheel. I have put several new starters in her and continues to grind and will sometimes grind and not engage to start. Can anybody tell me if the flywheel for a 6v is different from a 12v flywheel. I am thinking that it would have more teeth in a 12v then a 6v. If anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Can anybody tell me if the flywheel for a 6v is different from a 12v flywheel
Yes, a 12v flywheel is larger. If your car has the original transaxle, you will need to clearance the bell housing to get a 12v flywheel to fit. You will also need a 6 to 12 volt starter bushing or switch to a self supporting starter. Here is a previous thread that talks about it:

http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewt ... +clearance
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Agreed. A 6 volt engine has a smaller flywheel with 109 teeth. The 12 volt has a larger flywheel (.16 inches or 4 mm) with 130 finer pitch teeth. The starter shaft diameter of the 12 volt starter is also smaller, requiring a different bushing in the bellhousing. Frankly, I don't know how you were able to get the 12 volt starter to work at all, but what I do know is you've probably destroyed the flywheel ring gear by using the wrong starter.

If your engine is still the 1300, it should have an o-ring flywheel. If so, any 12 volt o-ring flywheel will be a direct swap, but you must clearance the bellhousing for the larger flywheel.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Agreed. A 6 volt engine has a smaller flywheel with 109 teeth. The 12 volt has a larger flywheel (.16 inches or 4 mm) with 130 finer pitch teeth. The starter shaft diameter of the 12 volt starter is also smaller, requiring a different bushing in the bellhousing. Frankly, I don't know how you were able to get the 12 volt starter to work at all, but what I do know is you've probably destroyed the flywheel ring gear by using the wrong starter.

If your engine is still the 1300, it should have an o-ring flywheel. If so, any 12 volt flywheel will be a direct swap, but you must clearance the bellhousing for the larger flywheel.

Parts needed:
12 volt flywheel (o ring type)
200mm clutch and pressure plate (6 volt is 180mm)
12 volt starter
starter bushing for installing 12 volt starter in 6 volt transmission

When all is said and done you'll not only have a car that starts much easier, but you'll also have a much stronger clutch.